A union official who holds a Northern Territory work health and safety entry permit has the right to enter a workplace to:

  • Inquire into a suspected contravention of the Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Act, or
  • Consult and advise workers on work health and safety matters.

To obtain an entry permit, a union official must be nominated by a union through the Application for Entry Permit form, and satisfactorily complete prescribed training. When exercising their right of entry, the entry permit holder must be able to produce their entry permit card.

 image shows the front and back of a sample work health and safety entry permit
More detailed information on the use of an entry permit is available below:

Register of entry permit holders

Entry permit holders as at 20 December 2017.

This public register of entry permit holders is provided in accordance with Section 151 of the Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Act and Regulation 31 of the Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Regulations.

Entry Permit Holder (EPH) Training

The EPH course offered by NT WorkSafe normally runs for a full day and addresses:

  • The reasons for an entry permit
  • EPH obligations under the Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Act
  • Familiarisation with the documentation
  • Good practice in resolving work health and safety matters for workers
  • Working with NT WorkSafe.

Course dates for 2018 include:

  • Wednesday 14 March
  • Monday 14 May
  • Tuesday 14 August
  • Wednesday 14 November


1 Scheduled training may not proceed if there are insufficient registrations.
2 Alternative training dates may be negotiated for groups of 5 or more.

To apply for training, submit an Application for Entry Permit with the 'New' box ticked.


PDF documents require a PDF reader to be installed, view a list of available PDF readers.