Keep up to date

Skip Navigation LinksNews and events

NT WorkSafe > News and events

RSS feedSubscribe to news and events

September 11
Safe Work Month 2017

​October is Safe Work Month, a time for all Territory businesses and workers to focus on safety and commit to building safe and healthy workplaces.

Get your workplace involved to raise awareness and knowledge to create a positive safety culture for your workplace.

Safety Seminars

Attend a safety seminar and have industry experts provide information to help you improve safety in your workplace.

​Date ​Time ​Seminar topic and registration
Tuesday 17 October ​12.00noon to 1.00pm Work health and safety duties of workers and the PCBU
Tuesday 17 October ​1.15pm to 2.15pm Changing behaviours to add value
Tuesday 17​ October ​2.30pm to 3.30pm Strategies for a mentally healthy workplace
Tuesday 17 October​ ​4.00pm to 5.00pm Effective engagement and building resilience in your approach to safety
​Tuesday 17 October ​5.30pm to 6.30pm Due diligence and dealing with the regulator
 

Small Business Safety Program - Alice Springs

The Small Business Safety Program is an initiative designed to assist small businesses understand and comply with their work health and safety obligations. The aim of the program is to improve the capacity and capability of small businesses to manage their own health and safety systems.

The program provides access to Small Business Safety Advisors who are available for free workplace consultations and can provide resources and documents that are tailored to individual business needs.

Small Business Safety Program Advisors will be available for appointments in Alice Springs Monday 16 October to Friday 20 October.

To make a one-on-one appointment please call 1800 019 155 or email safetyadvice@nt.gov.au

 

Safe Work Month campaign kit

Get your workplace involved by downloading Safe Work Australia’s campaign kit. The kit contains resources including activity ideas, posters, factsheets, statistics, flyers and videos to help you run your own Safe Work Month event.

 

National Workplace Reward competition

Enter your safety initiative in Safe Work Australia’s Workplace Reward competition. This is your chance to share your safety journey and go in the running to win $5000 to go toward improving work health and safety in your organisation. Find out more

 

 
August 10
Education provider pleads guilty to 2015 student fatality

A Northern Territory education provider has been convicted and fined $50,000 after a student died during a school sports carnival in 2015.

NT Christian Schools Ltd, operators of the Gawa Christian School located on Elcho Island, pleaded guilty in the Darwin Local Court to one breach of Section 32 of the Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Act for failing to comply with a health and safety duty.

12 year old Jethro Dhamarrandji-Baker died after being run over by a Toyota Landcruiser Troop Carrier during an event known as the Troopy Pull.

NT WorkSafe Executive Director Stephen Gelding said the tragic loss of a young life could have been avoided if the risk assessment process had been carried out before the start of the carnival.

“The Troopy Pull was the favourite event at the Gawa School Sports Carnival and involved teams taking turns pulling a troop carrier over a certain distance,” Mr Gelding said.

“When the event was introduced in 2012, a risk assessment was conducted and a number of safety measures were put in place to protect the participants.”

“In 2015 the teacher who introduced the event no longer worked at the school and the carnival organisers did not conduct a risk assessment or review the safety measures in place before the event,” Mr Gelding said.

“Mentioning work health and safety usually brings up images of high-vis workwear and people working in mining, construction or manufacturing.”

“I want to remind all businesses and workers that the work health and safety laws apply to all workplaces and conducting a risk assessment should form part of everyday work procedures.”

NT Christian Schools Ltd was also required to pay a victim levy of $1,500.

May 26
Fishing Company charged over 2013 electrocution

​NT WorkSafe has charged Austral Fisheries Pty Ltd with breaching Section 32 the Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Act after the death of a deckhand on an Austral Fisheries vessel.

This follows a decision by NT WorkSafe to reopen its 2013 investigation into the death of Ryan Donoghue.

On 29 November 2013, Mr Donoghue was electrocuted after being hit by a wave while using a mains powered angle grinder on-board the fishing vessel Newfish1.

It is alleged that Austral Fisheries Pty Ltd failed to mitigate the risk of death or serious injury from electrocution during the use of power tools on the deck of the vessel.

The Executive Director of NT WorkSafe, Stephen Gelding said the length of time it has taken for the matter to be brought to court was regrettable.

“The vessel was outside of Australian territorial waters heading to its home port in Cairns at the time of the incident,” Mr Gelding said.

“The location of the vessel meant the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, Workplace Health and Safety Queensland and NT WorkSafe potentially had jurisdiction to investigate.”

“The preliminary findings from our investigation were handed to Workplace Health and Safety Queensland after we received legal advice that they had jurisdiction,” Mr Gelding said.

Workplace Health and Safety Queensland completed their investigation on 3 March 2015 and decided not to prosecute. The Northern Territory Coroner held an inquest into the accident in April 2016 and referred the matter to NT WorkSafe for consideration.

“NT WorkSafe has sought independent legal advice from an interstate Senior Counsel to ensure the question over jurisdiction does not impact on our prospects of a successful prosecution,” Mr Gelding said.

“I hope the laying of charges will assist in providing closure for Mr Donoghue’s family.”

Austral Fisheries Pty Ltd faces a maximum penalty of $1,500,000 if found guilty.

The matter is listed for mention in the Darwin Local Court on Tuesday 18 July 2017.

1 - 3Next

Northern Territory Government