Certain occupational activities are considered high risk and require a worker to obtain the appropriate licence before they can commence work. The licences for these activities are issued by NT WorkSafe and applicants will have to demonstrate that appropriate training has been received.

NT WorkSafe issues the following licences:

  • Bridge and gantry crane 
  • Concrete placing boom
  • Derrick crane
  • Dogging - rigging
  • Elevating work platform
  • Forklift
  • Reachstacker
  • Mobile crane
  • Portal boom crane
  • Pressure equipment
  • Scaffolding
  • Tower crane
  • Self-erecting tower crane
  • Vehicle loading crane
  • Hoist*
    * NB: The holder of a Personnel & Materials Hoist (HP) licence can operate a materials hoist without having the Materials Hoist (HM) licence.

To apply for a licence, download and complete the 'Application for a high risk work licence' form. The licence application form will detail the requirements you need to apply for the licence, including documents you will need to submit with your application.

Interstate licences

A high risk work licence will not be issued if the applicant holds an equivalent licence under a WHS law of another state or territory or the Commonwealth unless the licence is due for renewal - Regulation 89(2)(b).

The regulator must issue a high risk work licence to an applicant who resides in the Northern Territory or if residing outside the Northern Territory satisfies the regulator of circumstances justifying the granting of the licence - Regulation 89(2)(c). A circumstance to justify the grant of a licence is, for example, fly in / fly out workers on a Northern Territory mine site.

Lodging an application

All licence applications are to be lodged with the Territory Business Centre. ​​

PDF documents require a PDF reader to be installed, view a list of available PDF readers.