The Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Regulations, provide for the licensing for asbestos removal work and asbestos assessor work.

Asbestos removal work​

The legislation licenses businesses to remove asbestos and workers are required to be appropriately trained before undertaking any asbestos removal work.

If you are a worker one of the following vocational education and training (VET) courses must be completed:

  • Remove friable asbestos (Class A)
  • Remove non-friable asbestos (Class B).

If you are a supervisor working for a business, you will need to also complete the following VET course:

  • Supervise Asbestos Removal and the specified course, outlined above for friable and non-friable removal work

You will also be required to have had at least three years of relevant industry experience for friable removals and one year for non-friable removals.

Asbestos assessor

An asbestos assessor licence is required for air monitoring, clearance inspections or the issuing of clearance certificates for Class A asbestos removal work.

The clearance inspection must be completed by an independent licensed asbestos assessor. To be independent, the licensed asbestos assessor or competent person must not be involved in the removal of asbestos for that specific job and is not involved in a business or undertaking involved in the removal of the asbestos for that specific job.

To become an assessor, you may apply for as licence if you:

  • have evidence acquired through training or experience in the knowledge and skills of relevant asbestos removal industry practice, and
  • have completed the specified VET course - Conduct asbestos assessment associated with removal, or hold a tertiary qualification in occupational health and safety, industrial hygiene, science, building construction or environmental health.  

Interstate licence

Asbestos business licences that have been issued in a corresponding jurisdiction can be used in the Northern Territory.

A copy of this licence will need to be provided when notifying of an asbestos removal and any other requested documentation.

Asbestos assessor licences that have been issued in a corresponding jurisdiction can be used in the Northern Territory.

Note: does not apply to a licence that is suspended or cancelled or has expired in the corresponding jurisdiction.

Notifications of asbestos removals

A licensed asbestos business must give written notice to the regulator at least five days before the removalist commences licensed asbestos removal work.

PDF documents require a PDF reader to be installed, view a list of available PDF readers.